"Grail" is defined as a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after. I think all of us can relate when it comes to seeking out optimal health. As cliche (and ominous) as it may sound, "without your health you have nothing".
Now, I like to stay as optimistic as possible, and I believe that even if you are ill and lacking in health, you do have things to be grateful for. However, pursuing optimal health can improve your overall well-being and offer more consistency in your day-to-day happiness. So why not seek out the "holy grail" for health?
After years upon years of trying different approaches to diet, exercise & lifestyle habits, one theme has been popular time and time again. One key factor pops up every time and determines whether or not you can break through all barriers to achieve optimal health. That one key factor is inflammation.
What illnesses are linked to inflammation?
- Crohn's Disease
- Chronic peptic ulcer
- Ulcerative Colitis
If you are experiencing inflammation anywhere in your body, it will be a barrier to unlocking your potential. What is the solution? The solution can be extensive and complex and also varies for every single individual. But that doesn't mean we can't take a simple approach to it. Because if we don't start somewhere, we will never start at all.
Think of this problem like an equation. Inflammation + X = Holy Grail to Health
- We need to cancel out Inflammation with something. In this equation, inflammation is a "negative".
- In an equation, what cancels out something? The opposite does. A positive can cancel out a negative and vice versa. Let's go through the process to find out what the opposite of inflammation is.
- First, what is inflammation? Inflammation (from Latin inflammatio) is part of the complex biological response of body tissues to harmful stimuli, such as pathogens, damaged cells, or irritants. Since we're focusing on diet/lifestyle, let's focus on IRRITANTS.
- Let's figure out what the "Irritants" are: Many experts deem an overly acidic diet to be a key cause of chronic inflammation ("irritation"). OVERLY ACIDIC DIET = IRRITANT.
- Let's figure out our body's natural state: In a healthy body, the natural biochemical balance is four parts alkaline to one part acid. To achieve this balance, a person needs to consume roughly 80 percent ALKALINE foods and 20 percent acidic foods. ALKALINE cancels out INFLAMMATION (irritants).
- In Summary: the goal is to keep your body's PH balanced and keep your acid levels under control. How do we do this, by giving our bodies 4x more Alkaline for every 1x Acidic.
- Back to solving that equation: Inflammation (-) + Alkalinity (+) = Holy Grail to Health
- Or: 1xACID(-) + 4xALKALINE(+) = PH Balance
Now that we have the equation completed, we need to figure out what can be plugged in as an "ACID" and what can be plugged into the equation as an "ALKALINE".
Below is a list of acidic foods and foods that are on the alkaline side of the spectrum. Minimizing intake of the acidic foods and maximizing intake of the alkaline foods will help keep your body PH balanced. Remember the daily diet ratio to aim for is 1 part acidic to 4 parts alkaline.
Take the challenge and spend the next 30 days focusing on sticking to the 1 part acidic: 4 parts alkaline ratio for your daily diet as you work towards your goal of optimal health!
Any recommendations made by Natalie Krul, Brave Angel, guest bloggers, or on our website www.BraveAngel.com about weight training, nutrition, supplements or lifestyle should be discussed between you and your doctor because working out involves risks. The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website or from our products or services. Never rely on information on our website, from our products or services, in place of seeking professional medical advice.